Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Meaning Is In The Title

Having been writing entries for a couple of months now, I thought I would reflect on a quote I discovered about six months ago, "Every day do one thing that scares you", which I've also made the heading of this blog. Most of us love quotes and inspirational anecdotes because they remind us of things we know but often forget. I can't say I live my life in fear or spend my days worrying about what terrible things await me but sometimes I do feel myself making decisions based on slight hesitations I innately feel. This caution is nothing new and I believe part of it harkens back to my childhood as a shy, insecure boy. I never did well outside my comfort zone, at least I didn't think I did, and instead only did well in situations where I felt safe and supported. This insecurity has lessoned over the years for sure, but the powerful influence of childhood isn't always so easy to shake completely.

What I love about the quote is that it gives permission to fail. When I read it, it reminds me that everyone has felt the same way at some point in their lives - that sense of fear that hinders risk (and thus reward) - and yet people move forward, dive into the pool, and not allow the fear of failure to stymie them. I admire these people - not the oblivious, fearless ones but rather the people who do feel that paralysis but overcome it. I wish that I was that confident. I wish that I had that devotion to the principle that in the end it will be alright. That no matter what you built up in your head that's preventing you from taking the chance, it will never be that bad and in fact will in all likelihood be good.

As I've gotten older and seen the rewards that can come from "doing things that scare you", it's made it easier to take that plunge. Of course, it doesn't always work out and there have been plenty of times when I follow this rule only to fall flat on my face. But I've learned to cope with this by finding a way to learn from the experience and turning a seemingly bad situation into something positive.

Lately I've been trying really hard to put myself out of my comfort zone and make this quote a daily mantra. And to be honest, it's reaped a lot of great rewards. I don't know if it's because I just had my three year anniversary out of school, the fact that I've yet to direct a feature film, or the issue of nearing 30 years old but some motivation for change has been brewing inside me for quite some time. I need to get back to filmmaking, to writing, and to pursuing a life that will make me not only happy but fulfilled.

What does all this mean in specifics? I don't know. That's why I have this quote, to remind me when I'm afraid of something, not to be. There are a lot of wonderful things in my life, a lot of amazing people and a lot of fruitful opportunities that I need to take advantage of. Even if it scares me.

No comments:

Post a Comment